Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Making Beanbag Balls

NOTE: Please excuse the pajama attire in the following photos - I DID make sure I combed their hair first :)


We did a fun project yesterday from the Family Fun magazine - June 2006 issue, page 44

"These totally tossable, squishable balls are lightweight an easy to grip, making them perfect for novice jugglers, beanbag games or a good old game of catch."

1. Stretch the first balloon [you will not see the color of this balloon] by inflating it halfway, holding it closed for about 30 seconds, and deflating it.



2. Place a funnel in the balloon's neck [I did not have a funnel and it would have been MUCH easier!] and gradually pour in 3/4 cup of lentils, pushing them in as you go. The balloon should be firm but squeezable. [They will fit even though it seems like it isn't going to happen - keep poking the beans down in towards the center of the filled balloon - we also did a little more gentle stretching and pulling to make a bit more room].



3. Snip off the balloon's thick rubber lip, Cut the neck off a second balloon [only a small circle of this balloon will be visible] and gently stretch the opening.



4. Ease the second balloon over the filled balloon, tucking in the neck as you go.



5. Cut the neck off the third balloon [the color of this balloon is most visible], stretch the opening, and ease it over the other two.



Wallah! Nine 11-inch balloons and 2 1/4 cups of dried lentils turned into this:

5 comments:

Janiece said...

Oh how cool! Britnee is going to kill you when she sees that picture of her :)

Sassy said...

That is a really neat idea. Thanks for sharing it with us. I do believe I will have to try it with my girls.

Bobbie said...

Pretty neat. Do you have anything in mind that you want to use them for or was it just one of the projects we do with our kids to make them happy and have fun doing it?

Anonymous said...

Cute idea...I will have to try that with my kids. Knowing Connor though, he will eventually poke the balloons until the filling comes out...boys:0

Gail Lynn said...

I think the picture of Britt is very cute---not sure why she wouldn' like it??...~~!!!
Cool idea, too