Getting up for school this morning was difficult for the girls. They had been off school for almost two weeks due to me having the flu, then a week vacation and upon returning from that, a two day school camping trip. They were plum tired out. Janae, 7 yrs. old, was especially wiped out and cried from the moment she got up, almost all the way to school and was still crying in the parking lot. To top it off, we were late b/c of them sleeping in. She was crying even more over the fact that she would have to walk into a classroom full of fellow students and they would all see her crying and stare. Poor li’l thing. I told her that I would take her to her class after I put my stuff in the office.
I met her at her locker and we were waiting outside her classroom door when the administrator saw us. He came up and greeted us and then noticed Janae’s tears. He asked what was wrong so I told him. Making small talk while waiting a few moments more, I finally decided to take Janae to the rarely used side door so she wouldn’t have to walk in front of so many students. Bro. Mowery thought it might need unlocked so he went with us. He pulled out his key ring bearing a good 20+ keys (reminded me of my dad’s keyring =) started to unlock the door and then said he had an idea! He was talking to Janae now, “Tell you what we’ll do…I’ll unlock this door and you wait here. Then, I’ll go around and walk in the other door and kind of talk to the kids to distract ‘em. Then you can sneak in and they won’t notice you because they’ll be paying attention to me!” The tears dried up almost instantly!
He got ready to go, leaving us with the words, “Now wait until I get over there!” We stood outside the door and listened. We heard the other door open. Then Mrs. Spangler finished her sentence and suddenly we heard the whole class say, “Good Morning, Pastor Mowery!” We heard Bro. Mowery say a big hello and then continue on with some questions. I opened the door and shoved Janae through whispering for her to hurry!!
Bro. Mowery came into the office later and said he didn’t even think the kids noticed Janae walk in. It worked! And the rest of her day went GREAT! I think Bro. Mowery has grandchildren, don’t you? (9 of them to be exact =)
No comments:
Post a Comment