Driving home from school today I noticed that fall has arrived. There is a curve just outside of our town and all the trees change into so many different colors—or so I thought. I never appreciated the beautiful color change in Michigan when I lived there. Now I long for the vibrant colors of the leaves as they are changing. We just don’t get that here in Indiana.
But anyway, my mind went back to last fall when we would be on our way somewhere and I would comment on how pretty the fall leaves were in a certain area. My family never seemed to catch my enthusiasm. One day I realized that I had sunglasses on. I began to wonder…do you suppose that the brownish/reddish tint to them actually makes the colors more brilliant and beautiful? And sure enough, I slid them down my nose and peered over the rims at the trees. The same trees that I had just considered breathtaking were suddenly dull.
Now, I have heard that saying, “looking through rose-colored glasses,” and I think it’s used as an admonishment NOT to make things prettier than they should be—don’t have unrealistic expectations. But today, after I tried it again, peering over the rims of my sunglasses at those gorgeous trees on that curve close to town, I put my “rose-colored” glasses back on and enjoyed the view!
No comments:
Post a Comment