Friday, October 21, 2005

His Strength- My Weakness

In prayer meeting Wednesday night, there were so many testimonies of those going through really difficult trials.  They weren’t gloom and doom testimonies but simply statements of how these individuals were relying on God to get them through the dark days.  I have always heard this verse of Scripture, but as I sat and listened to everyone testify and as I thought of the issue that I was facing, which didn’t seem nearly as serious as a dying parent but to me it was a HUGE mountain that I needed God to remove—trying to sort out the school inventory mess—I was struck with the truth that our weakness shows His strength.  

Wow, what a powerful thought!!  It is only when we get to the realization that we cannot do it ourselves that God is allowed and able and willing to show His strength.  Why does it take us so long to learn that if we will just quit trying to fix everything ourselves, He will gladly fix it for us?  

Ever have a child ask you to fix a toy for them and then before they would relinquish it, they pulled it back and tried to do it themselves?  I have watched my independent little girls struggle and struggle trying to “do it myself!”  I could immediately see the problem and would have had it fixed in 10 seconds.  On some occasions, I would even beg them to give me the toy so I COULD fix it.  It was harder to watch them struggle with it than to do it myself.  But they stubbornly refused my help.  Finally, several minutes later, in exasperation and sometimes shedding buckets of tears, they hand over the toy and are amazed to see it fixed instantly and handed back to them good as new.  “How did you fix it so fast, Mommy?”  

I bet it’s the same way God views us when we struggle and struggle to fix our problems.  We finally give up and then ask Him to fix it for us. How much distress and worry would we save ourselves if we would just ask Him for help in the first place and trust Him to fix our “toys”?  

Lord, help me to admit my weaknesses and allow Your strength to be shown…may I always hand my problems to You to fix.

No comments: