Friday, August 31, 2007

YEAH, TOAST!

I never really thought about it much until a few weeks ago when I set Kerrigan’s toast on the table and heard my father-in-law say, “Ooooh, fancy!” I couldn’t figure out what he was talking about at first then something he or Kerri said afterwards made me realize he was talking about the way I cut her toast.


I don’t know when I started doing it that way but I do know WHY. It stems from the fact that this mother remembers the days when she HATED eating the crust. Despite the fact that my parents fussed at me for it. And despite the fact that I heard the following comment from one parent or another on a daily basis, “You’re leaving the best part. That’s where all the vitamins and nutrients are.” Nothing changed my mind. Vitamins and nutrients? What does that mean to a child? I just hated the crunchy part of the toast.


I didn’t eat the crust for many years as an adult. I will blame that on my parents (I don’t blame too many things on them so I think I’m allowed this) but they liked their toast dark, therefore the crust was EXTRA crunchy. And that’s how they made MY toast. So they started a bad habit. Then the day dawned when I realized what it was about the crust that I hated. And now I can tolerate it. For one reason, it now seems childish to leave the crust. Secondly, if I don’t eat the crust I’m still hungry and would have to make THREE pieces of toast to fill the void. But mainly I can handle it because I use the lighter setting resulting in not-as-crunchy crust.


Anyway, this is one area in which I am completely lenient with my girls and actually have compassion to the point of spoiling. I don’t get after them for leaving the crust. Not to say that I don’t use the vitamins and nutrients argument with OTHER food. But never with toast or bread crust.


And just in case you were wondering…when you cut the toast on two diagonals and you try to extract the bread portion but leave the crust, you don’t get butter and jam all over your mouth.

10 comments:

Jody J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jody J said...

Great idea. BTW, I heard that's a myth. There are no more vitamins and nutrients on the outside than there are on the inside. Who do you believe? :)
(That last post was from me. I messed up and didn't realize it until I posted)

Anonymous said...

I think the way you cut it is a great idea. I will have to remember it. My oldest daughter doesn't like the "skin" either (as she calls it) :)

I can understand the vitamins and nutrients with stuff like potatoes but I can't make sense of it with bread. Oh well

A Peek Into My Life said...

That's a cute way to cut it! I should do that for my son (he's a messy toast eater!)

I used to hear that about the vitamins too but when you think it thru for yourself.....! I've decided it was really just a way to get growing children filled up without eating more of the groceries! :)

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

What a creative idea!!!! You go Sara!!!

Julie

Angie D said...

Connor hates crust and since I'm pretty sure it has no more nutrients than the rest, I've decided it's not worth fighting about.

Michelle said...

Smart! I always hated the crust too and I'm still funky about it at age 31! LOL

Sherry said...

How cute! I do recall a certain Sara, (Fritz) at the time) laughing at Jonathon because he did not want his apple in pieces he wanted it in "swices" like his mommy did it!

Janiece said...

You are completely NUTS!!! I guess since I was made to eat it, I make my kids eat it too. I don't see any reason for wasting it, it really tastes the same just a little harder. I bet your kids are sure glad you're their mom and not me, LOL! On the other hand,if they were mine, I would let them eat watermelon every day, HA! HA!

tacomom said...

Janiece, #1 DON'T get on my blog and tell me how to live! #2 YES, the crust DOES taste different...you can't butter the crust very easily or put jam or cinnamon and sugar on it without making a complete mess while eating. Therefore, it does taste different and besides, it has a different texture, too.

Now that I've totally freaked everyone else out for telling you off...lol! lol!!