Britnee asked me how we spell Brook (Kerrigan's middle name). With or without an "E". So I shared this story:
Nonnie had a fit when we decided to spell your name B-R-I-T-N-E-E. She said, “She will have to spell that name everywhere she goes!” I said, “Mom, my name is Sara and I have to spell it everywhere I go!” When I was going to have Kerrigan Nonnie said it was too long (my mom was very opinionated :) But I didn’t let that effect me. However, I did think that Brooke with an “E” made for too many vowels in her name, so I left off the “E” - also thinking Nonnie would be a little bit happier with one less letter. Wouldn't you know, after she was born, Nonnie said, “I hope you put an “E” on the end of Brooke because it looks prettier that way!” ARGH!
I don’t guess she had any fusses about Janae Beth’s name. Short, sweet and the meaning of the name meant everything to all of us..."God has replied".
10 comments:
Can't second-guess mamas!
My mother went bonkers because you can't shorten Connor's name. She likes to make up little nicknames and I had to stop her when I heard "Connie..." :)
I'm glad no one fussed to us about our boys' names (at least to our faces!)
I did catch my dad early on trying to shorten Brennan's name to Bre (pronounced like "Brie"). I had to tell him that Brennan was neither a girl, nor a hunk of cheese.
Oddly enough, Brennan enters his name in video games (if his score is high enough ;) "Brian. I have no idea why and he said he didn't know either.
Of course Jared calls him "Brenda" just to make him yell.
I should clarify here that my mother wasn't ornary about it. She was just being, well, Mom! lol! I always thought I got my opinionatedness from my father, but the more memories I delve up, the more Tony tells me that is NOT so :) It's just that my Dad's big mouth and my Mom's opinions weren't a good combination in me :) As her Alzheimer's got worse, it got scarier b/c she didn't know when NOT to say something.
Angie, my sister and bil thought they were doing a wonderful thing naming their daughter Nikita b/c you could not make a nickname or rhyme out of it (he was a school teacher). But guess what? Chiquita, mosquito - said with a hick drawl-, bandeeta...and the list goes on (evil cackle) and of course, I liked to do anything to annoy him when they were first married.
Isn't it amazing how "freely" people give their opinions about the names you've picked out for your kids?! Been there too! I would never tell someone I didn't like their name or spelling they chose! I like your girls names and I have a niece, Kerrigan with the same spelling!
(Don't know if I had it to do over again if I would choose the "3 P's in a pod though!" It gets to be a tongue twister for sure! :))
By the way, I looked for you on Saturday but couldn't seem to pick you all out amongst all the Blue!!!
Karen, I wasn't wearing blue :) :) But I did find the section you were in. Just didn't have any binoculars to find you with!
My sister is due in November and her MIL asked her "what has that poor baby done to you, for you to name him Maverick"? HA! I guess she (her MIL) doesn't think along the same lines of us Karen : )
Your dad tried to tell us we shuld name Abigail, Pearl E. Ummm...NO! I am glad we named her what we did! Someone down here named their kid "Raenbow Aura" and their last name was, Brite! child abuse is what I call that.
Post a Comment