Here is the car after the fire was put out
You can almost see the smoke in the air - taken as we were leaving our driveway
Firetrucks at the scene
View from the church parking lot
We finally determined from this angle that a house was on fire. I didn't get any pictures of it as the smoke was so thick we wanted out of there but the vinyl siding on the house was melting so bad it looked as if it was dripping. We found out later it was the house next door. (You should have seen all the cars in the church parking lot on the corner...it looked like church was on.)
We headed for Indy, stayed away for four hours. Just before we got into town, I thought I saw a firetruck turn on a side road ahead of us. I couldn't believe they were just leaving. But when we got into town, this is the scene that greeted us. You can't see it but there were fire trucks all over still with their flashers lighting up the night sky.
Our neighbors were out watching the "goings on" and we joined them to find out...a young boy (12 or 13?) was working on a snow blower in the garage and it backfired and caught a mattress on fire. Everyone is safe. They saved a dog but lost several other pets (2 dogs, 2 cats and maybe some birds). The worst news is that rumor has it they had no insurance.
I imagine I'll be posting some better photos come morning. And by the way, the car belonged to a volunteer arriving at the scene. It caught on fire just before he got there. Oh, and our house STILL smells like smoke!
No comments:
Post a Comment