Thursday, September 22, 2005

Just Stay Away

Don’t they say out of the mouths of babes comes wisdom?

I had to work at the school five days this week instead of my usual 2.5.  So, thinking my 4 yr old might get a little bit tired of seeing the office, I arranged for her to spend the day at her friend’s house.  

At the supper table last night, she insisted she did NOT want to go to Keegan’s.  I couldn’t believe it.  I kept asking and asking hoping she would change her mind. She stood steadfast in her decision.  

Finally, exasperated, I asked WHY she didn’t want to go.  She looked at me so matter-of-fact and said, “I am trying not to marry him.”  

Of course, we all got a big chuckle out of this.  You see, after a rocky start to their friendship, Kerrigan and Keegan have been very much in like with each other.  Keegan said they were going to get married and so now everyone says it.  Up until this point, Kerrigan agreed.  But now she is seemingly having second thoughts.

What I thought was so remarkable in her simple statement was how obviously easy it was to not partake in something you had decided wasn’t right for you.

In her little mind, if she didn’t want to marry Keegan than she would merely keep her distance.  We should make it as simple…if you don’t want to gain weight, stay away from food…if you don’t want to gossip, stay away from those who talk too much…if you don’t want to be tempted, stay away from the things that tempt you…if you don’t want to be worldly, stay away from the world.

And this can work in reverse too. The things you desire, get close to them!  So simple are the things we cause to be so complex.

No comments: