Wednesday, February 4, 2009

So Which is Healthier?

Every morning, I top off my breakfast with a couple of chocolate chip cookies - Chips Ahoy style by either Nabisco or Aldi's. It helps me get more white milk down so I figure it's a good trade. After having Nabisco last week and thinking I preferred Aldi's brand. I went back to those this week and am finding out that there is a definite taste difference. They aren't as sweet so that led me to check out the nutrition information on both. Here's how they compare - negatives in red text:



Calories:
NB - 160; Aldi's - 120
Calories from fat:
NB - 70; Aldi's - 45
Total Fat:
NB - 8 g; Aldi's - 5 g
Saturated Fat:
NB - 2.5 g; Aldi's - 2.5 g
Trans Fat:
NB - 0 g; Aldi's - 1.5 g
Cholesterol:
NB - 0 mg; Aldi's - 0 mg
Sodium:
NB - 110 mg; Aldi's - 55 mg
Total Carbohydrate:
NB - 22 g; Aldi's - 15 g
Dietary Fiber:
NB - 1 g; Aldi's - 1 g
Sugars:
NB - 11 g; Aldi's - 8 g
Protein:
NB - 2 g; Aldi's - 1 g

Neither have Vitamin C, Vitamin A or Calcium but Nabisco does have 4% of the daily value of Iron.

So, bottom line...Aldi's brand has
  • less calories and calories from fat
  • less total fat
  • less sodium
  • less carbohydrates
  • less sugars

But it also has

  • less protein
  • more trans fat and
  • no iron

So what's your take on healthy?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would stick with
the Aldi's,

Janiece said...

I say--WHO CARES, just eat them both!!! :)

Raylin said...

Aldi's are cheaper, right? That gives them extra "brownie points"! :) I would stick with Aldi unless you are concerned w/ the trans fats. Enjoy! :)

Sassy said...

I say--Eat whichever taste the best:) I tend to go for the cheaper, unless, of course, it doesn't taste good:)

LaDonna said...

I'd say that trading some things for the trans fat is ALWAYS a bad idea! Don't eat the trans fats, no matter what! Just my opinion. If it's dairy you're after, why not try ice cream,, yogurt or cheese? Wait...chocolate chip cookies sound lots better than all those things...never mind! :)

Kara Plank said...

I'd say go with Aldi's if they are cheaper. Morning calories get burned off soon anyway! lol

About the baby's heart rate, I can't remember for sure, but I thought Clayton's was the opposite for the boy/girl thing. This time it was 160, so we'll see in about 7 weeks! If I had to say a preference, I'd say another boy, just because I really wouldn't mind all boys, but seeing the new lines of clothes for girls makes me realize I would be just as excited for a girl. I got my boy first, so whatever this one is will be so cool!

Julie Waggoner said...

I say neither one are healthy---go for the carrot sticks!

Anonymous said...

After reading all theses comments, I'm not getting in on this one!!!