Saturday, September 13, 2008

You Can Call It Flower...

...if you want to. But I know better. Tony mentioned last evening that this would be the perfect morning to sleep in...a bit chilly, maybe rainy and no obligations (usually the first two criteria fall on Sunday mornings!)

Well, somewhere around 5 or 6 this morning I got a whiff of something and it was no flower! I tossed and turned, covered my nose with the blanket breathed through my mouth (have you ever tasted skunk scent? Ick!) and pretty much tried to ignore the fact that some certain black and white critter had apparently been in a scrap with our cat. Finally at 8:30 a.m. I gave in and got up. The fight must have taken place on our deck because our entire house is permeated with the wonderful smell. I am feeling quite nauseous and wishing like crazy that I had a tub of Ultra Odors Gone on hand. Where IS that stuff when I need it most?

And in case you are wondering, yes, this is actually a photo of a skunk on our deck. It was taken back in April. I was bundling up kitchen trash and reached for the door to toss it in the garbage can outside. For some reason, I hesitated before opening the door and reached instead for the porch light. I glanced out the door window and about freaked out when instead of finding nothing, I caught a glimpse of this lovely creature. Of course, my mind went back to the many, many times I had opened that door in the dark of the night without a second thought. You can rest assured I don't do THAT anymore! And let me take a minute right here to thank God for watching out for us in the simplest of ways! Say what you want, but I'm convinced He was the one who checked me that night.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I just remembered that we do have a spray bottle of Odor Source Eradicator left from the "cat trapped in the van all night" incident.

10 comments:

Raylin said...

That has to be one of THE WORST smells... and I've never had a run in like yours! :) Have fun with that!

Angie D said...

Blech! Thank you, but we're not coming for Sunday dinner tomorrow after all...

tacomom said...

We had one under our trailer when we lived in Michigan. That's when we had first discovered Ultra Odors Gone and we put it to the test. It totally took care of it! I can't smell it now until I go outside and come back in...then there's still a hint of it. Interestingly enough when I went OUTSIDE, I couldn't smell a thing so I wonder if it got in through the Central Air unit and was recirculating through our house. Ick!

tacomom said...

Oh, but Angie, that's what we were HAVING for Sunday dinner! Just for you!

Carrie said...

Hmm. And to think we have patients who are skunks (Flower and Thumper from the same household). FORTUNATELY, pet skunks already come descented (or at least they should!) I've heard they make wonderful pets! ;)

Anonymous said...

We have a skunk story too - my husband was using a cage trap to catch raccoons that had been getting in our trash...one night, he caught a skunk by mistake. Randy didn't know what to do - if you disturb them in any way, they will spray you. He tried to get it to come out, but it wouldn't, so he finally had to shoot it, hoping that he wouldn't spray - but he did! Randy had to carry the cage down to our wooded area, away from the house. He said the smell about made him sick.
The really bad thing was that it was 2 days before Randi Nicole's
wedding - which we had outside!!
I could still smell it a little, but all the guests said that they couldn't.

Karen Walden said...

Oh dear! Hope you got the smell out of your clothes before going to church yesterday! Goodness...

Reminds me of about a year and a half ago when we were at a park celebrating a friends birthday and Parker decided to chase a skunk! Luckily, he didn't get sprayed! That was scary!

Gail Lynn said...

I, too, have went out onto a very dark patio at night and found a skunk out there with me.... (way back when we lived in the apartmens in Alma, Mich.) Gratiot County was over-run with skunks that year, so every time one came into the yard of the Apartment Complex, the Maint Mngr had Doug shoot it with his 357 Magnum; right in town - no less. (Just in case you don't know - that is a pretty powerful handgun. Doug used it while on the Police Force.)

Jody J said...

EWWWW!!!!

Norma Gwen Watson said...

Glad I found your blog! Is the smell pretty well gone now? That would be hard to get rid of.