Sunday, February 10, 2008

Maybe It's Really the Stork

This conversation caught my attention tonight on the way home from church tonight…

Two young girls, ages 7 and 10, talking about “how babies get here”:

10 yr old, very matter of fact, says, “The mom and the dad go out to a garden and plant a seed.”
(That’s all I knew about having babies when I was her age. Do you think she really believes it?)
7 yr old, quite vehemently responds, “No-oo! The dad doesn’t have ANYTHING to do with it! You see, it all starts like this…a boy and girl meet. He asks her out on a date, on a lot a dates. Then they get engaged, then they get married. Then the mom has these little, tiny eggs in her and she has the babies. Then... they all live happily ever after!”

Is it lying as long as I don’t affirm her statement? (hmmmm…our Sunday School lesson is coming back to me today. What would Sis. Campbell say?)

“Nice fairytale!” I interject.

And the 7 yr old, voice full of exasperation, replies, “Mom, it’s not a fairytale. It’s real life!”

Please tell me I have a few years until I have to tackle the facts…

9 comments:

Julie Waggoner said...

hate to pop your bubble but you don't have too many years!! not in this day and age! Sad that kids have to grow up isn't it!
Julie W
p.s. remember Jaida thinks you just have to eat a lot to have a baby! Good thing thats not true!!! I think there would be alot more babies!hehehe

Sherry said...

YIKES! I told Jonathon that Jesus had a special room that babies grew in and when it was time to get them he let us know! Of course, he was only 4!

Jody J said...

Too cute! You don't have too many years, but you can enjoy it while it lasts!

Michelle said...

I dread it too. Of course, Rodney gets to deal with it first since Steven is the oldest and it won't be too long before it's gonna be time! He'll be 8 in less than 2 weeks and, if you'll remember, this past summer we had to start him with wearing deoderant!

The Bendele Fam said...

That is Hilarious!!!! I have one that is 11, go read my blog about her....What do you do????? These kids are too funny.

A Peek Into My Life said...

Too funny!!! No, I think your time is about up. ;)

Sassy said...

This is hilarious!!! I told Phil to read it because this is what we have to look forward to:)

Janiece said...

What sweeties! Just don't wait too long to give them "the talk", it is what God expects from us, as parents! If you don't tell them, someone else will and you DON'T want that! Be open and honest with them and they will keep coming back to YOU when they have questions, not their friends! And yes, I am speaking from experience : ) DON'T wait too long, kids are finding out more and more, earlier and earlier in their lives and you MUST make sure it is coming from YOU my dear!

The Bendele Fam said...

I totally agree with Janiece!!!!