I keep forgetting that it's Veteran's Day. I remembered earlier today when I thought wistfully that there would be no phone call to my favorite "war hero". Then, I grinned to myself thinking of Dad in Heaven swapping war stories with all the veterans up there. Then, I forgot again until I got on to catch up on blog reading and saw a few other posts commemorating family members who were in military service at one time or another.Dad always acted embarrassed when I would make that call to thank him for serving our country. I think probably because he didn't feel like he did much since he wasn't directly involved in combat.
Dad joined the Navy (along with his brother and father) as a SeaBee (Construction Battalion) during WWII at the tender age of 17 - quit the last semester of school to serve. He went to Japan and rebuilt after the bomb was dropped. So, you see, in a round about sorta way, Dad did give his life for his country. At least we attribute his pulmonary fibrosis to the chemicals that lingered in the air overseas. He just lived alot of life between his service to his country and his death.
So, here's a wish for the first of many "Out of this World" Veteran's Days, Dad! I'm glad your battles are over. You always were and always will be my "war hero" :)
3 comments:
I was going to dig out pictures of our family members but by the time I decided to do that, it really was getting late and I didn't feel up to scanning and uploading -- that is, once I found them all!
Great post! I was showing Mary around "blog world" and couldn't read this post without crying! He was truly a HERO to a lot of us, in a lot of different ways!
It is November 25 and I am catching up with your blogs.l I've had a really bad day all day today - missing mom and dad and crying and crying. As I sit here, Dad's coat is on my lap (the one we had made for him as a WWII Vet with the Naval insigna, etc. on it) and my Bible is opened to Matthew 11:28-30 (which was the sermon text this morning in Church) - and there is a PILE of kleenex on the floor beside me; so you "get" the scene. I read your blog about Dad being a Veteran and remembered the times I would send him a card for Veteran's Day - or just go see him and tell him "Thank You." I KNEW the moment I first heard Janet Paschal sing Another Soldier's Coming Home that it had to be sung at his funeral. Through the years, everytime I heard it I would cry my eyes out. After Mama died, I took the words over to him one day and he said, "make me a copy of those words". He kept it right on the end table beside his chair. Sarah Louise (SIL) had also purchased the CD a few years ago and played it for Art and said, "that HAS to be sung at your dad's funeral". I found that out while we were planning his funeral. I'm so glad that Nichole (my oldest) was able to sing it - and she did it with such feeling - even looking over at the family directly a couple times. ...he's fought his last war; he'll battle no more....
Post a Comment