Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dread Turned to Pleasure

I was really dreading this past weekend. The closer it got, the more I wanted to stay home and be in denial. Not because it would make my parent's deaths seem more real or final. But simply because they were cremated and sprinkling their ashes on their plot at the cemetery seemed so morbid. A vivid reminder that they were burned (their choice - not for financial reasons but because my mother hated the thought of her body being in the ground - so burning is better?!?!) and this is what remains of their bodies. A little more "in your face" than a closed casket at the committal.

But my awesome brother, Earl came through once again, and devised a plan to make it into a beautiful ceremony that I will never forget. He and my sister, Barb, sprinkled the ashes in the shape of a heart around the grave marker while Tom Sproles and I sang, "Look For Me" on CD. After the sprinkling of the ashes, we each took a handful of flowers - dried from the funeral sprays - and filled in the heart. After this heart-wrenching scene, my brother-in-law prayed a beautiful prayer and then the young grand and great-grandchildren released blue and purple balloons, signifying the "letting go" of Nana and Papa.

What I had dreaded turned into something I am so glad I did not miss. It couldn't have been more perfect.

We do not have a marker for our stillborn brother, Eric John, so Dad wanted to include his name on their stone.


6 comments:

A Peek Into My Life said...

I understand why you were dreading it but I'm glad it turned into something memorable. What a sweet way to "let them go".

Janiece said...

So glad your weekend turned out better than you had expected! What a neat way to say good-bye!

Sherry said...

I don't blame you for dreading it but I am glad it was better than you thought. Mom wants to be cremated for financial reasons and I told her I don't think I can so she better tell someone else also! I think the stone is beautiful!

Angie D said...

That's such a beautiful way to say goodbye to them. My Mom plans to be cremated as well. I actually think it's a much more financially responsible choice and may opt for it myself.

Lisa said...

That was beautiful. It was nice to include the kid's too so they could say good-bye.

Julie Waggoner said...

That is soooo neat!!! What a great idea!
Julie W