Sunday, June 10, 2007

Clean Fridge Sans Garbage Disposal

I cleaned out my fridge today.  I am reminded of Sundays when there was not one space on the counter to be found for all the dirty dishes.  Mom would need to make room for the left-overs so she would often clean out the fridge and add to that never ending pile of dirty dishes!  Ugh!  But she had a garbage disposal, which made her job a little bit easier.  I don’t have a garbage disposal.  Grew up with one.  Lived in PA for 18 months without one and learned a whole new way of life after each meal.  When we were first married, we had one in the duplex we lived in.  When we ordered our brand new trailer, I made sure we spent the extra $60 to include a garbage disposal.  But alas, since then, every place that we have lived (four houses in all) have been without one.  I don’t even remember what it’s like to be able to scrape food into the sink instead of empty green bean cans or chocolate milk powder canisters.

There are four things you need when cleaning out a fridge without a garbage disposal:

1.       a spatula, to wipe out every possible amount of oozy leakage

2.        a tough garbage bag or double-bagged grocery sacks, so the oozy leakage doesn’t drip all over your freshly mopped kitchen floor when transferring it to the outdoor garbage bin

3.        very hot water to rinse the remaining oozy leakage from the dishes down the drain

4.         the ability to hold your breath for long periods of time so you don’t smell the oozy leakage

Now that I have totally grossed you out, I’m off to eat supper.  I wonder if there’ll be any left-overs to store in the fridge?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sisters and I always say Mom cleaned out the fridge when we were doing to dishes!!! I understand why now. And I too lived without a garbage disposal for a few years and hated it!!! Tony---get Sarah a garbage disposal!!!!!
Julie

tacomom said...

He would get me one, it's just finding someone to hook it up...his dad, who does electrical work, is also a science teacher and doesn't believe in them b/c of what they do to the earth. Whatever that is...

Anonymous said...

I'll have to e-mail a wish-list to Tony for you. I'll definitely include a garbage disposal and front loading washer/dryer.

Anonymous said...

Can't you barter with any of your friends for the labor? How about Mark Graff????? I HATE not having one, also! Your list is very complete. When I was pregnant with Nichole (31 years ago), I vomitted SO much every day that if something got left in the frige too long I threw the whole thing away - dish and all!!!!! I just couldn't do that job of cleaing it...