Thursday, September 7, 2006

Someone has to do the dirty work

I had to clean “food” out of the boys bathroom sink today.  Supposedly someone threw up but wouldn’t own up to it.  Besides if it was a little guy, he obviously can’t clean his own mess.  I was so grossed out and holding my breath not to smell it.  The sight was bad enough let alone the smell that I anticipated would accompany it.  Leigh Murray was the only guy there and said he is very sensitive to smells.  (You can tell he’s only 22 and doesn’t have any kids! Lol!)  
I asked all over the school figuring that if someone admitted to it, I’d be HAPPY to watch a learning center while the teacher dealt with the mess.  Well, no go.  Then someone in the office said, “Where’s Bro. Mowery when you need him?”  I said, “If we called Bro. Mowery over here for this, do you know what he would say to all of us (7) adults???!!!!”  So I asked Leigh if it looked nasty.  He said no. 
I decided I was going to have to be the “go to guy.”  I rolled up my sleeves and in I marched armed with disinfectant and a disposable toilet bowl brush.  The sink was half full including water that they’d ran in it.  Nothing would drain.  Ugh! 
After much gagging and very dainty swooping of the brush through the sink, over the counter and into the trash, I finally got it all cleaned up.  I left the can of disinfectant on the floor in the hall and went to the dumpster to dispose of the germy trash.  Then I headed back to the girl’s restroom to THOROUGHLY wash my hands.  When I came out to return the disinfectant to the storage closet, Bro. Mowery was standing there looking at it trying to figure where it came from.  I informed him that I deserved many pats on the back!  Then I told him why.  Well, he wanted to know who it was so he could send them home if needed.  I told the girls in the office that I could tell them what the kid had for lunch!
I was still reveling in my accomplishment half an hour later when someone came in and announced no one had thrown up at all.  One of the kids had been told to dump his leftover lunch in the sink!  I was so aggravated to think I hadn’t done anything special to receive accolades after all.  But I told Leigh the joke was really on him…he couldn’t handle the smell?!?!

 

6 comments:

Carrie said...

That is the funniest story I've heard this week!

Anonymous said...

Sara, I found out that your dirty job wasn't so dirty after all about ten minutes after you finished it! I wasn't going to tell you though. I figured it isn't every day we get to be heroes and thought you might need the "high" that comes from being the bravest! Go ahead and be proud of yourself, it is your willingness that counts! Rachel

tacomom said...

Carrie, everyone seems to be getting a good laugh out of my story, my in-laws included. Tony, however, is tired of hearing it :)

tacomom said...

Rachel, thanks for the pat on the back! Somebody else told me it didn't matter either since I thought I was cleaning up puke at the time. It still grosses me out! But I think I am going to have Bro. Mowery give me an appropriate job description. I'm afraid that everyone at school will come to me now for janitorial duties!!

tacomom said...

Clarification...APPROPRIATE JOB DESCRIPTION meaning: I am NOT the janitor!!

Anonymous said...

It sure would have been a lot easier on you if you knew it was lunch and not rerun lunch haha.

Hey I was the janitor for three years. I think the stupidest thing I was asked to do (other than the stuff you are describing ha)
I had a teacher send a note to my office and tell me there was a cobweb hanging down from a light and what desk it was hanging over.
Can you believe that she could have had it down with a broom quicker than writing the note and sending it to me..Oh my word!