Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Becoming a Woman

Britnee is a little old to be writing “cutesy” things about. And she will kill me if she ever even reads this post. But I had to grin today when helping her get ready for a family photo session.

Brit hates to wear pink. She does NOT claim to be a girly girl. Interestingly enough, a couple of her friends are 100% girl: perfume, lip gloss, 100’s of pairs of shoes and probably just as many purses. But it is obvious that they know she is not like them.

A few weeks ago at Britnee’s birthday party, she was getting ready to open a gift from Karissa. I caught a glimpse of Karissa tense up and hold her breath. Then she quickly blurted out, “Just remember…my mom bought your gift!” I couldn’t figure out what in the world Britnee was getting ready to open. The flaps of the box folded back and out popped a loofa, then a pretty pink bottle, another pretty frosted pink bottle and a little tube of lip gloss. We all kind of chuckled and Britnee politely thanked her and said it was okay. She didn’t mind that stuff…but in moderation.

I have been noticing a whiff of perfume here and there after Britnee’s showers. And today when I set her clothes in the bathroom while she was showering, I noticed all laid out real nice beside her outfit was her pink frosted bottle of body spray and deodorant. Maybe a little bit of girly girl won’t hurt my tomboy :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe there is still hope for my tomgirl??

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that she was such a tomboy. Don said, well she loves horses and rides them, etc. I didn't think she rode but he said she did last summer on vacation. So I guess to him, that makes her a tomboy.

But, yes, sometimes as they grow up they do change their mind about "pink things!"