Friday, June 30, 2006

Patriotic Quest

This week I have been on a lengthy and time-consuming search.  We are doing a small patriotic program for church Sunday morning.  We are singing “This Land is Your Land” and “We Want America Back” (written by Jeff Steele).  My quest was to find a reading or poem to transition between the two songs.  I did not succeed.  At least I did not find it’s finished form on the Internet.  BUT after reading several poems, quotes, and background information about the Declaration of Independence, and after some soul-searching, brainstorming and meditation, God has given me these words.  I think it fits nicely with the theme.  Have a Happy Independence Day!

AMERICA, THE CHRISTIAN’S LAND

America…it is your land as a man, and mine as a woman;

It is your land as a child, and my land as an adult;

It is yours as a single career-minded person and mine as a stay-at-home parent;

America is your land as you seek citizenship and it is my land as the great-granddaughter of German immigrants;

It is the journalist’s land as a well as the musicians;

The Democrat’s as well as the Republican’s;

And as much as it is the land of the atheist and agnostic, it is my land as a Bible-believing Christian.  Like the signers of the Declaration of Independence, I am willing to take the risk, to pay the price, not to separate myself from my country.  But to reunite my country; to ask my countrymen to re-examine why over two hundred years ago the signers of the Declaration of Independence risked and sacrificed much by daring to put their names on a document that repudiated their government.  They proposed the three truths declared to be "self-evident", namely, that all men are created equal, God has given all men certain rights, and included among which rights are life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.  As much as our forefathers declared their independence from England, they declared their dependence upon Almighty God. May I be willing to do my part no matter how big or how small, to see my land return to the beliefs that it was founded upon…because America is the Christian’s land, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Nice
Eleanor