I am on a yahoo group for Congenital Hypothyroidism because our middle daughter was diagnosed with it at 2.5 wks.. It's a great place to support other parents who have questions and concerns about their child's growth and development. I only wish I could have found something like it when she was an infant and we had all those questions.
But today I learned something from the new mommies on the board. Listening to their concerns and worries about whether or not their breastfed babies were getting or keeping down enough of their medicine, I see how there were some odd things in ours and Janae's lives that could be deemed as blessings. I had trouble breastfeeding so switched to the bottle right before we found out she had CHT. I can see now how it could be very tricky trying to get meds in them when they aren't used to a bottle nipple.
Then three days after she was diagnosed, she stopped breathing. That resulted in a diagnosis of Reflux Apnea and three weeks and two surgeries. Rather than projectile vomit like most infants with reflux, she just stopped breathing. The final surgery was a nissen fundoplication which is where they wrapped her stomach around her esophagus to "create" the trap/valve that is supposed to be in your stomach to keep food from going back up into the esophagus. B/c of the wrap (and they did hers a little tighter than usual b/c of her life threatening situation--where most are done for nutritional purposes) she had to have a Mic-Key button from which I burped her. And that all resulted in a spit free, puke free baby! No worries there about her keeping down her meds!
Strange how some things can be a blessing in disguise, huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment